Friday, July 27, 2012

Don’t Underestimate the Situation

How many times have you underestimated the situation?  I can’t count how many times I have gotten surprised in good and bad ways because I underestimated the situation.  I
walked up on a moccasin snake because I estimated that he would be in the water or on the
river bank but not in the grass.  I estimated if I drove with the speed of the traffic I would not be pulled out of traffic and given a ticket.  I estimated the guy that worked on my car for days was going to give me an expensive bill yet to my surprise he charged me nothing.  I underestimated each of these situations.  Don’t underestimate the situation.

I have been having this knot in my stomach since the tragedy in Colorado at the theater.  I have not been to a movie theater in years because when you mix darkness and a flickering light my body thinks it sleepy time.  The last time my husband and I went to a movie, we woke up to the lights on and people leaving because the movie was over.  I am also thousands of miles, numerous states away from Colorado, but yet I have this knot in my stomach (funny feeling).  It made me think if I am feeling this way there must be many others, including children that might be feeling the same way.  Don’t underestimate the situation.

I don’t plan to underestimate the power of this Colorado event over my life.  I don’t want you to either and I want you to think about your children too.  The event in Colorado has affected me in many negative ways.  It has made my stomach and heart hurt from the sadness of needless killings and injuries.  I think about the families and friends of those killed and injured who wake up sad today.  It makes me wonder where will the next crazy event take place and who will be harmed.  It makes me turn the news off when more stories come out concerning the events or comments about “Joker” Holmes.  It makes me sad because more people will lose jobs and homes due to the acts of a madman.  I estimate that every time someone does something negative in the United States it affects all of us in some way.  Don’t underestimate the situation.

I must admit I have a little fear and worry of the next shoe dropping (what next).  Since there will never be a reason that anyone will understand why the man in the Colorado theater shooting would do such a dreadful act, there is no reason to worry about that anymore, but we have to take care of our mind, body and soul.  Here are seven things I am doing to help get myself through this current situation.  I won’t underestimate how it might affect me later.

1.       Talk to family and friends about the situation(discussions are good for the soul)
2.      Exercise (walk, jog, exert energy) is good for the hidden stress
3.      Meditate (find your center)
4.      Face your fears (go to a movie)
5.      Help somebody today (helping someone is always uplifting)
6.      Tell someone you love them today (tomorrow isn’t promised)
7.      Pray to God (there is nothing he can’t do)

Martin Luther King said, “If I can help somebody as I pass along, if I can cheer somebody with a word or song, if I can show somebody he’s traveling wrong, then my living will not be in vain…”